Monday, May 23, 2011

Rush: Power Windows


Artist: Rush
Album: Power Windows
Year released/purchased: 1985

This was the first album by Rush I ever bought and was the soundtrack to the second semester of my freshman year in high school. I bought it partially based on a budding fandom that existed in me after seeing videos for "Tom Sawyer", "Red Barchetta", "Subdivisions", "Distant Early Warning" and "Vital Signs" on MTV. But what really got me to buy the album was the song Big Money. I saw the video on MTV and heard it on WFBQ and I was hooked.

I couldn't judge Power Windows in comparison to any other Rush disc, because I had never heard any other Rush discs. Many Rush fans today look at the Signals/Grace Under Pressure/Power Windows/Hold You Fire era as being weaker than what came before it mostly because Rush was willing to experiment with synths and electronic drums. I liked the dense arrangements, keyboards and overdubs in Power Windows, even if the Rush 'purists' of the day didn't. Like I said, I didn't go into Power Windows with any expectations. I judged it on its own merits and music. Power Windows also became my gateway drug into Rush addiction. Shortly thereafter, my cousin Patrick made me copies of Moving Pictures, Signals, Fly By Night, Hemispheres, Caress of Steel and Farewell to Kings off of his vinyl copies. Rush addiction soon built a friendship with a very talented young drummer in my high school band named Aaron who was also a Rush fanatic. (More on this guy later.)

Does Power Windows still hold up? It's definitely not in my top 5 favorite Rush discs. I didn't 'rush out' and buy it on CD once I owned a CD player either. There are other Rush discs that hold far more appeal to me. It's definitely not a timeless disc either; it screams 'mid 1980s' from the get go, and not always in a good way. Some records become known as classics, and Power Windows isn't a classic. It's just a good snapshot of what Rush was interested in musically in 1985 and how their interests were transformed into new music. I would say it deserves a good solid 'B' grade though. Nothing that transcends time but still worth a listen.




No comments:

Post a Comment