Sunday, May 22, 2011

Dio: The Last in Line

Artist: Dio
Album: The Last in Line
Year released: 1984 Purchased by me in 1985 on cassette and in the mid 1990s on CD
This was probably the first true heavy metal album I had ever purchased. I bought it because I had heard the title track on the radio and saw the video once on MTV. I originally purchased it through the RCA Music club. I had my own membership at 13, which was against the rules. (OOOOPS!!!!) I paid for my purchases with allowance, lawn mowing money, left over lunch money, paper route money... etc etc. if I could get my hands on some money, if it wasn't spent on video games, at that age it was spent on music. I also got a Ronnie James Dio poster that I hung on my bedroom wall, which caused as much controversy as the "leg lamp in the front room window in A Christmas Story".
Musically and lyrically this disc blew my 13 year old mind. I really had no idea just how great Ronnie James Dio was or how important to heavy metal he was, but I knew these songs were awesome. I still think that way today. I remember playing this tape for anyone who would listen. Most people didn't get it or were shocked that I was into Dio. I was (is) a preacher's kid and all! I remember shocking some of my schools resident metal heads by talking authoritatively on this disc.
This disc has held up pretty well over the years. This is the "real" Dio lineup to me. Vivian Campbell, Claude Schnell, Jimmy Bain, Vinnie Appice and Ronnie James Dio. No other lineup has ever been to fire on all cylinders the way the orginal did. I've managed to meet some of my musical heroes over the years and Ronnie was a true professional and gentleman. The guy paid his dues musically and always had humble gratitude towards his fans, even if he didn't suffer the fools of the music business gladly. His voice may be silenced now, but the discs will spin in my player (and reside on my hard drive) for many years to come

No comments:

Post a Comment