Friday, May 27, 2011

Mr. Big

Mr. Big

This disc epotomizes how music is more than just background noise or entertainment. Music has the power to make connections, forge friendships and change lives. The year was 1989. I had a 'freshly minted' high school diploma, a fast food job with Little Caeser's Pizza, dreams of rock stardom and the well thought out plan of going to college part time at IUPUI. I labored under the delusion that a social scene existed at IUPUI. (it's a commuter school in downtown Indianapolis)  I soon found out I wasn't going to make any real friends there. Most people didn't want to know your name and a large percentage of the student body was late 20's to early 30's in age. So I made friends where I could and kept up with some of my friends from high school who were still around. I had a couple failed relationships too. In retrospect they were nothing I should have really got too concerned about, but I didn't see things that way at 18. But back to how Mr. Big fits into this.

This was a really anticipated album for me. Their guitarist Paul Gilbert was somewhat of an idol of mine. In December of 1989, Mr. Big played a show in Indianapolis and had a record signing/meet and greet session at a local record store. Not only did I have a chance to see them live I would have a chance to meet them as well. This was the second time that I got to meet one of my musical heros and get a couple autographs. Meeting Mr. Big turned out to be a total blast. They were cordial and easy going with no ego at all.

But how does Mr. Big hold up musically? This disc is a solid B+ performance. Top notch chops mixed with pretty good songwriting. Nothing ground breaking and a only 1 power ballad. It's aged pretty well and doesn't sound ridiculously dated, but it is a little dated nonetheless. The touches of humor found throughout were a good idea. These guys really don't take themselves all that seriously and it shows in the music, unlike a lot of the hairbands.
But that's only half of this story.

In front of me in line was a guy about my age who was also a huge rock/metal fan. We got to talking and basically had the same interests and tastes. He mentioned to me that he went to Ball State University and wrote for their student newspaper. I had never met him and he had never met me before. It was much like what Fight Club called "a single serving friendship". This is where it gets hazy to me now after 21.5 years. I was not happy living at home and going to IUPUI. I wanted to transfer out after the first year but wasn't sure where to go. I'm starting to think now that that this guy influenced me to go to the same school he did. Shortly thereafter, I turned in the paper work to transfer to Ball State. Months passed. I was accepted... I moved in... a few days later. I ran into my single serving friend! Turns out we lived in the same building. Turns out we became more than just 'single serving friends'. He was one of my best buds for at least 3 years while I was at Ball State. We went to other concerts including Judas Priest, AC/DC, and Black Sabbath.

As years passed we drifted but still kept in touch. We still have many mutual friends in Indiana, St Louis and other places. He is now a well respected music/movie critic and a part time play director. You can hear him deliver Public Radio Goodness on WFYI radio in Indianapolis, IN

You can find me right here on this blog and you can find him here: http://www.wfyi.org/radio/localPrograms/radioBluesHouseParty.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment