Saturday, May 28, 2011

New Wave of British Heavy Metal '79 Revisited

New Wave of British Heavy Metal '79 Revisted

I consider 1991 to be a red letter year in my life. If I found out that I was caught in a time
loop that repeated this infinitely, like Groundhog Day, I'd be a happy camper. I had friends
like I had never had before and never had since. I had time to practice guitar and ride my
bike. I had long hair. I had classes that challenged me but weren't impossible. I went to more concerts that year that I can remember. I was still working fast food, but I was a shift manager so I finally was not just a lowly crew member. My sister was a student at IU and I went to the Little 500 that year. Well... I just partied with her friends the whole time. I even broke my left elbow in 1991 and I still view this as a red letter year. That should tell you how good of a time I was having that year. This disc set is 1991 to me.

On to the disc at hand. This disc was a compliation project done by Lars Ulrich in 1989. In  1989 Lars & Metallica still had a lot of street credibility as metal musicians and still had a real connection to the underground metal scene that had influenced them. This disc was a tribute to those bands, and a couple other bands that went from being unknowns to being household names. (Iron Maiden & Def Leppard) How obscure are the rest of the bands on this? Ever hear of Sweet Savage, Sledgehammer, Angel Witch or Vardis? Didn't think so.

One thing about this disc has been a running gag with me and my friend 'Matt the K' for 20 years now: The Cover. Featured on the cover is the drummer for a band called Samson. (which once had Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden as a lead screamer) This guy's stage name is  Thunderstick. He's like a member of Slipknot that existed 15 years before the band actually did. 'Matt the K' and I for years would make jokes about him working at McDonalds, being a rent a gimp, providing security services or being a secret consultant working behind the scenes of the global music business. Through the wonders of MySpace, I actually got a hold of the real life Thunderstick and traded several emails with him. He seems like a great guy who has had a great time living his dual life in character as Thunderstick and out of character in his regular life.

The other thing that really strikes me about this disc is that it is a perfect illustration
about how time flows differently when you are younger. Lars made this compliation when he was 26 years old and was nostalgic about the music he loved at age 16. At 36 I think it's safe to say he wasn't as nostalgic about the music he loved at age 26. I'm sure the 20 years that have passed since this was released flew by for him much,much faster than the 10 years between 1979 and 1989. At least that's the way it's been for me.

Does this disc set hold up? Mostly yes. Lars made some good choices and really let us hear the music that has his teenage memories are attached to. If you want to know what Lars was jamming to in 1979, this is the disc set for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment